Riverview East School
PSSC Meeting Minutes
Sept 29, 2021

The regular meeting of the Parent School Support Committee was held on Wednesday September 29, 2021at 6:00 PM in the RES Multi Purpose Room.


Adam Rogerson (Principal), Julie Stewart (Teacher Representative), Sarah Murphy (Chair), Mike Vandenburg, Dallas McCready, Trevor Morrison, Tammy Lane, Craig Lutes, Claude Anglehart, Rebecca Steeves,

Regrets: Sean McKinley, April Arsenault

  1. Welcome

Sarah welcomed everyone and the meeting was called to order at 6:00 pm. Introductions were made, followed by an ice breaker activity.

  1. Naming of PSSC Chair:

Sarah Murphy was voted Chair and Dallas McCready will serve as Vice Chair. Rebecca Steeves will record the minutes.

  1. Signing of the PSSC declaration:

PSSC declarations were signed by all members present.

  1. PSSC Pamphlet:

Adam distributed PSSC pamphlets and the role of the PSSC, our responsibilities and limitations were reviewed.

  1. Dates for the years meetings

Dates were set for all meetings to be held this year:

Wednesday October 20 at 6:00 pm
Wednesday November 24 at 6:00 pm
(No December meeting scheduled)
Wednesday January 19 at 6:00 pm
Wednesday February 16 at 6:00 pm
Wednesday March 16 at 6:00 pm
Wednesday April 20 at 6:00 pm
Wednesday May 18 at 6:00 pm (Last meeting for the year)

  1. Student Population/Expansion Discussion

Current population is 770 students, 36 home rooms. Grade 6/7 split class is over the class size limit, district has provided a second teacher to accommodate for the time being.

Members discussed the overcrowding at RES since the school first opened in 2014. The first letter expressing the need for more space was sent to the DEC in 2013. The need for the expansion is stronger than ever, as well as the need for an overcrowding solution in the interim. Need to get the project started, as it could take years to construct. The committee moved to send letters requesting the expansion project as well as an overcrowding solution in the interim to the District Education Council, Premier, Ministers of: Education, Dept. Transportation & Infrastructure, Finance, the Director of Finance & Admin at AESD, & MLA Mike Holland. Sarah will write the letters and Mike will assist. It is important to send them ASAP as capital projects budgeting takes place in December. It was noted that it would be good idea to have representative from DTI come to RES to tour the site and look at expansion possibilities to get the process started. Education Minister Cardy has not been to RES yet so it would be a good idea to invite him as well for a tour.


This year there are still 32 indicators with key goals of mental fitness, powerful instruction, and safety protocols and operational plan. There needs to be a focus on student learning: meeting their curriculum goals, literacy, numeracy, science, and mental fitness.
Adam provided a brainstorming activity to PSSC members to identify goals for students at RES, what we want for our students. It was noted that more might need to be done to help the grade 8s transition to high school. Adam explained. A new program for grades 5-9 called “essential skills”

Principal’s report

-Core leaders
-Smaller groups outside
-Students eat in their classroom, not the cafeteria so far, still have cafeteria service
-So far 1 case of covid, closed one day and no spread to others
-Students held a mock vote for Federal Election, voted NDP
-Soccer try outs underway, Cross country ongoing
-Truth and Reconciliation Day—will be an entire school week, and eagle feathers are now going to be changed to represent the 7 grandfather teachings. Students have created art work and it is displayed in the hallways
-Intramurals will begin November
-Grade 7 HPV vaccine notices out
-Picture Day
-Pre-K registration begins in 2 weeks
-Home and School Committee is up and running this year
-There is a need to start brainstorming fundraisers for the playground, a lot of broken equipment


The meeting was adjourned at 7:20 PM. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday October 20 at 6:00 pm.



Comments are closed